BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, September 18, 2009

JJ’s review of the U2 360 Tour in Toronto September 16, 2009

First of all let me just say that the last time I was at a stadium concert was back in 1987 when INXS played the old exhibition stadium when I was 13, so this was a probably the biggest show I’ve seen in a 8 years??? I was lucky enough to have a standing spot right under the big “claw” stage, which looking up at the CN Tower from underneath with the open dome really resembled a rocket ship… says the geek in me. The show started with David Bowie’s Major Tom playing while smoke billowed from the 360 screen… a lot like a rocket ship….

Alright, U2 came out and opened with music from the new album “No line on the Horizon” which honestly I am not too familiar with. I’m pretty sure everyone including me was waiting for anything from the Joshua Tree, and when “I Still Haven’t Found what I’m Looking For” happened and 60,000 people joined in on the chorus it was as I always dreamed, I get chills thinking about it. The set included most of the biggies from the “Joshua Tree”, with an “Amazing Grace” intro to “Where the Streets Have no Name.” There were other hits like “Vertigo” “One” Stuck in a Moment” and I had heard that they performed “Sunday Bloody Sunday" on the European leg of the tour and was stoked to hear it at the Rogers Centre.

Lots of running, prancing and strutting from the band, but nothing overly choreographed
Theatrically it was all the 360 stage, which was exactly that, 360 degrees with two outer cat walks circling the main stage attached by two bridges. There must have been tons of cameras because the real show was the 360 screen flashing video of the concert interspersed with lighting patterns and social messages.

Yes it’s true U2 doesn’t put out ground breaking, landscape changing albums like Joshua tree anymore, but they do still rally for change through all their humanitarian work which definitely had a presence at the show, with “the One” campaign, Aung San Suu Kyi masks and a video featuring Bishop Desmon Tutu.

So let me sum up, Rocket ship-esque stage, all my favorite tunes, social commentary, open stadium and 60,000 + in attendance for me equals a very rare 6 out of 5. A little much some might say and I’ll agree, I had some great seats right up close so I didn’t feel the disconnect that some have mentioned about the show. That said this is JJ’s review of the U2 360 Toronto concert.

0 comments: